About Hutchison House
Hutchison House is one of the oldest limestone houses in Peterborough. It was built by volunteers in 1837 for Dr. John Hutchison, the citys first resident physician. One of the bedrooms is dedicated to, Sir Sandford Fleming, a cousin of Dr. Hutchison, who lived in the house when he came to Canada in 1845, at 18 years old.
The Hutchisons lived in the house until 1847, when Dr. Hutchison died of typhus he contracted from his patients. In 1851, the house was sold to James Harvey, a prominent local merchant and remained in the Harvey family until 1969, when it was donated to the Peterborough Historical Society.
The house was restored to the mid -1800s period and opened as Hutchison House Living Museum in 1978.
Highlights to see
- the 1840s doctor's study with medical instruments, books and furnishings
- the Sir Sandford Fleming room with one of his original maps of Peterborough, his sextant and other surveying tools
- an early Victorian parlour
- a childrens bedroom with toys from the 1880s
- period gardens, including a cooking and medicinal herb garden